Most Atlanta residents are aware that mosquitoes are biting pests that cause irritating, itchy wounds. It is also common knowledge that mosquitoes can transmit deadly viruses. But, most of what folks know about mosquitoes doesn't help to protect them from harmful viruses or prevent mosquito bites.
Today, we're going to talk about how high and far mosquitoes travel and discuss why this is important to know when battling mosquitoes in Atlanta. Then we'll take a look at how you can use this information to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard for good. How does that sound? Great! Let's get into it.
How High Do Mosquitoes In Atlanta Fly?
Most of the time, mosquitoes don't go above about 25 feet. But they can get up high. This is important to understand. When you consider standing water as a potential breeding site in your yard, you need to consider blockages in your gutter system.
Mosquitoes can breed up there and then come down into your yard and live in your landscaping. It is essential to stay on top of cleaning your gutters if you want to reduce mosquitoes on your property.
Removing water sources is one of many natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard. You should leverage this to take your yard back.
How Far Can Mosquitoes In Atlanta Travel?
While mosquitoes can travel 1.5 miles per hour, most mosquitoes won't travel more than a few hundred feet in their entire lifetime. This is important to understand. When you're getting bitten by mosquitoes in your yard, it is likely that they hatched in your yard.
A key to getting rid of mosquitoes is understanding that mosquitoes live and breed in your yard. They don't zip into your yard from your neighbor's yard and then continue on their way after they bite you. When you target and reduce mosquitoes on your property, you reduce mosquito activity. This is why spraying for mosquitoes in your yard has such a big impact.
Five Simple Ways To Make Atlanta Yards Less Attractive To Mosquitoes
If you want to keep mosquitoes away and prevent them from breeding on your property, here are a few natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes:
1. Remove standing water. This removes breeding options.
2. Address moisture issues. When you clean your gutters, you don't just remove standing water in your gutter system, you prevent ground saturation near your home. A dry perimeter is resistant to mosquitoes.
3. Consider pool covers. Residents often worry about baby mosquitoes in the pool, but pools tend to be terrible environments for mosquitoes. This is mostly because the water is circulated and there are few bacteria. But the water that collects on pool covers is perfect for mosquitoes, they can breed like crazy in these tiny pools. So while you don't have to worry about baby mosquitoes in the pool, you definitely have to worry about them in rainwater that collects on your pool cover.
4. Mosquitoes eat plant nectar. If you have lots of flowering weeds on your property, you're going to attract mosquitoes. Address weed problems to reduce mosquitoes and other insect pests.
5. Lights attract insects. If you want to keep mosquitoes away, a good option is to replace exterior white lights with yellow lights. Mosquitoes can't see a yellow light and they aren't attracted to it.
Top-Of-The-Line Mosquito Protection For Atlanta Properties
If you want to reduce mosquitoes as much as possible, the best solution is spraying for mosquitoes in your yard. This should be done by a licensed professional so that appropriate products are used and all safety measures are followed. If you live in Atlanta, reach out to Tuxedo Mosquito Control. Our team specializes in mosquito control and management. Not only do we provide misting treatments for mosquitoes, but we also install misting systems.
The most powerful and effective way to stay on top of mosquito control in your yard is with a misting system. You have the power of a mosquito treatment at the touch of a button. If you plan to have friends over for a gathering, you can treat your yard before your outdoor event. If you want to enjoy mosquito-free lounging by your pool, you can activate your system before you go out to enjoy your poolside time.
Do you have questions about mosquito control in Atlanta? If so, we'd love the opportunity to help you find the answers you're looking for. Reach out to Tuxedo Mosquito Control for the most effective and compressive mosquito control available. Mosquitoes aren't just one of several pests we deal with. We specialize in the most advanced mosquito control strategies and we can get you the results you want. Connect with us today for immediate assistance.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
Tuxedo Mosquito is the only company we have used to control mosquitos in our yard. The service person sprays our shrubs in the woods behind our home and every shrub and plant in our yard. To the best of our knowledge this is our 9th year using Tuxedo Mosquito. Their service is excellent!!