Seven Easy Tips To Keep Atlanta's Mosquitoes From Biting You
October 16, 2021
There are many pests to be concerned about here in Atlanta, but one stands far above the rest: a dangerous backyard mosquito. The vast majority of homeowners in Atlanta agree that mosquitoes are some of the most obnoxious pests in the southern states. However, mosquitoes in Atlanta go far beyond a mere annoyance and have the ability to dramatically impact the health, lifestyle, and wellness of local homeowners.
There are several hundred mosquito species common to the United States, but only a few dozen are found near Georgia. They include:
- Elephant Mosquitoes
- Winter Mosquitoes
- Black-tailed Mosquitoes
- Asian Tiger Mosquitoes
- Southern House Mosquitoes
It is important to note that only female mosquitoes are capable of sucking human blood. Mosquitoes must have a blood meal to reproduce and are heavily reliant on humans to fertilize their eggs. Just one or two bites is all it takes to fertilize an entire clutch, which will hatch within two weeks or less.
Mosquito bites are extremely dangerous, no matter how young or healthy you may be. Even a single bite has the potential to spread bacteria, viruses, and parasites into the bloodstreams of victims, including:
- Zika virus
- Chikungunya virus
- West Nile virus
Unless you have a proper set of prevention steps in place, you may find yourself struggling to combat the insidious mosquitoes around your property.
The Best Mosquito Prevention Steps For Homeowners
The following prevention tips may help Atlanta homeowners stay safe from mosquitoes all year long:
1. Use an effective mosquito repellent for your clothes and exposed skin. Be sure to apply repellents, particularly to your shoes, socks, and clothing, as well as arms and legs.
2. Wear light-colored clothing while out on your lawn. Studies have shown that darker clothing is easily visible to mosquito populations and is more likely to be targeted than lighter-colored apparel. Consider donning pastel colors such as yellows, blues, and greys.
3. Avoid being outside during dawn or dusk hours. These are mosquitos’ favorite times to be on the prowl.
4. If you plan to spend time outside, avoid alcohol as much as possible. Research suggests that humans who indulge in a few alcoholic beverages are more than twice as likely to get bitten, among other things.
5. Remove any standing water about the property, particularly buildup in ditches, birdbaths, fountains, and small puddles. Water that cannot be removed should be treated with a mosquito larvicide.
6. Keep mosquitoes outdoors and away from the interior of your home by properly sealing all entry points. Do your part to check window screens, door sweeps, and potential cracks and gaps in walls.
Tip #7 – Help From Tuxedo Mosquito Control
The seventh and most important step on this list is investing in ongoing mosquito prevention services from Tuxedo Mosquito Control. As one of the leading mosquito control providers in Atlanta, Tuxedo Mosquito Control prides itself on quick services, eco-friendly alternatives, and satisfied customers. More than 1,400 happy clients agree that our mosquito solutions are some of the best of the best.
We offer our clients a wide variety of mosquito treatment options:
- Mosquito misting systems
- Mosquito abatement programs
- Mosquito spray services
- Traditional and eco-friendly options
- Free quotes for all services
Prevention is the best and most viable method of removing rampant mosquito infestations. To keep you and your family protected for the long term, reach out to the mosquito control experts in Atlanta at Tuxedo Mosquito Control for help.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
It is simple: If you want to forget about Mosquitos in your yard... CALL THEM. Great service, fantastic 'set it and forget it' technology, with wonderful people backing it all up. We couldn't be happier with Tuxedo Mosquito Control!