What Do Mosquitoes Eat And Other Facts About Atlanta's Mosquitoes
March 01, 2022
Once you visit Atlanta, Georgia, you are sure to keep "Georgia on your mind." It is a diverse community that offers family-friendly activities, romantic getaways, and a plethora of unique diversions from everyday life. Unfortunately, the hot and humid weather in Atlanta invites mosquitoes to spoil the fun; that's why pest control in Georgia is of utmost importance.
What Is A Mosquito?
Mosquitoes in Atlanta are a dreaded pest that often makes outdoor fun miserable. It delivers painful and itchy bites and spreads viruses and parasites that make you sick. Some famous diseases they spread are Zika, malaria, West Nile, yellow fever, and dengue.
Seven identifying physical characteristics of mosquitoes are as follows:
- Small, slender bodies (various colors and measuring anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inches)
- Two large compound eyes (detects movement)
- Two wings (used for steering)
- Palps (senses odors)
- Proboscis (the mouthpart utilized to penetrate the skin)
- Six long legs
What Do Mosquitoes Eat When They Aren't Eating People?
Most people are unaware that only female mosquitoes bite humans. Males get their sustenance from other places, and they love the "sweet stuff." Since only female mosquitoes bite humans, their primary food source comes from the blood of people and animals; they need this for laying eggs, but they will satisfy their "sweet tooth" from time to time. The survival of males (and females that don't depend on blood) hinges on obtaining sugar.
Three places mosquitoes obtain sugar include:
- Honeydew (produced by insects like aphids)
- Plant sap
Why Are Some People More Attractive To Mosquitoes Than Others?
Do you ever feel like your body is an all-you-can-eat buffet for mosquitoes while your friend or family member doesn't seem to get bitten at all? There appears to be a good reason why mosquitoes love you, and it all boils down to genetics. Additional reasons mosquitoes love you may be from your choices when you step outside.
Five factors that may make you more attractive to mosquitoes are as follows:
- Carbon dioxide: People naturally exhale when breathing, allowing mosquitoes to track you. Pregnancy and activities that make breathing harder will be a particular draw to mosquitoes.
- Body odor: Bacteria on the skin and sweat produce a specific smell that mosquitoes can quickly pick up. Compounds such as lactic acid and ammonia ensure that mosquitoes seek you out, especially during physical exertion.
- Colors: Mosquitoes seem to be attracted to the color black. The recommendation is that you not wear dark colors when you are outside.
- Blood Type: Some believe that blood type O is attractive to mosquitoes. People who fall in this category should be careful to cover up outside.
- Alcohol: A small study suggests that beer consumption may be an attraction to mosquitoes.
No one can say with 100% certainty that mosquitoes' reasons for targeting certain people are accurate. Scientists continue to try to find explanations for mosquitoes' behaviors. Even if there is even a tiny grain of truth to some theories, taking steps to cut down on possible attractions may mean modifying your habits.
What's The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard?
The best way to keep mosquitoes away is by using the mosquito control services offered by Tuxedo Mosquito Control. Our revolutionary misting system, placed in strategic locations around your yard, can help shield your property from invasion. Calling Tuxedo Mosquito Control today for cost-effective and reliable mosquito solutions is best to keep mosquitoes away from your backyard activities.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
Tuxedo Mosquito is the only company we have used to control mosquitos in our yard. The service person sprays our shrubs in the woods behind our home and every shrub and plant in our yard. To the best of our knowledge this is our 9th year using Tuxedo Mosquito. Their service is excellent!!