Buzz Off: What It Takes To Keep The Mosquitoes Away In Decatur
September 30, 2022
The Life Span Of A Mosquito
Like many other insects, mosquitoes have a multi-part life cycle in stages. For mosquitoes, this life cycle includes four distinct stages: egg, larva, pupa, and adult. The time from when an egg hatches until it turns into an adult is between eight and ten days, but the eggs can lay dormant for months or even years in standing water sources until the conditions are perfect for them to hatch.
Once a mosquito becomes an adult, the females will live between two and three weeks, and the males up to ten days. However, this life span can be a bit longer or shorter depending on the weather conditions and the proximity of feeding and breeding areas.
You should note that effective mosquito control depends on eliminating every life stage of this insect from your property, as this is the only thing that prevents re-infestation.
Mosquito Control Is A Public Health Issue
Many individuals know mosquitoes in Decatur are annoying intruders, but it is often unknown how much of a public health issue this pest presents. All types of mosquitoes can transmit illnesses, and the diseases you can get from mosquitoes include serious health problems such as malaria, Zika virus, West Nile virus, and yellow fever. The CDC considers controlling mosquito-borne and mosquito-transmitted diseases highly important, and tactics for mosquito control have evolved over the years to become less environmentally toxic but still highly effective at preventing the spread of diseases that mosquitoes can trigger.
Factors That Attract Mosquitoes To Homes And Yards
Several factors may attract mosquitoes to your home or yard that you may not know. Here we list these factors and give you solutions for removing or reducing them so that your property is much less hospitable to populations of mosquitoes.
- Mosquitoes love areas full of moisture, humidity, and standing water. You should take steps to remove standing water from your property to stop mosquitoes from laying their eggs in these areas. Make sure to be thorough, as mosquitoes only need an inch of water to lay their eggs.
- Reduce moist and damp conditions around your property by fixing leaks, drainage issues, and moisture attractants like holes around your yard. Doing this will make your property less hospitable to mosquitoes looking to breed.
- Shady areas around your property created by long grasses, overgrown foliage, and outdoor debris such as woodpiles and leaf litter encourage mosquitoes to hide out. Remove all outdoor debris and cut back long grasses and dense foliage to reduce mosquito hiding spots.
- Water features on your property may attract mosquitoes attempting to lay their eggs. Treat birdbaths and other water features with larvicides or use water filters to keep water moving and prevent mosquito eggs from thriving in these locations.
- Mosquitoes love to bite humans and feed from us; spending lots of time outdoors can attract this pest to your property. You can prevent mosquito bites and deter this pest from entering your property by always using insect repellant outdoors and wearing long-sleeved clothing and pants when possible to avoid bites.
If you need more information on defeating mosquitoes invading your yard or want prevention assistance, contact Tuxedo Mosquito Control at the first sign of this insect buzzing around your property.
Decatur Homeowner's Secret Weapon To Total Mosquito Control
One of the best ways to get rid of mosquitoes and your secret weapon for mosquito control is trusting Tuxedo Mosquito Control to eliminate all traces of this pest from your property. Our technicians dedicate themselves to removing mosquito populations from around your yard, ensuring to address all life stages of mosquitoes. Doing this allows us to provide efficient, effective mosquito control that keeps this pest away from your property throughout the mosquito season.
Contact us at Tuxedo Mosquito Control today to learn about our automated mosquito misting options, manual mosquito spraying services, and ongoing or one-time treatment plans.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
I would highly recommend Tuxedo Mosquito. Very professional organization. Installation was quick and service has been great. My wife, who seems to be a "mosquito magnet" spent the entire summer in our backyard without getting bit. Money well spent