You know that mosquitoes are a problem in Atlanta, and you probably know that mosquitoes can spread harmful diseases, but you might not know the whole story. There are a lot of misconceptions regarding these irritating pests. Join us as we look at the dangers of mosquito-borne viruses and how mosquito control in Atlanta can protect you from illnesses and keep mosquitoes away from your yard.
Are All Mosquitoes Dangerous?
No. Not all mosquitoes spread diseases as effectively as others, and some dangerous mosquito-borne diseases are not localized to the United States.
Malaria is a good example of a dangerous disease that is not found locally in the continental United States. When we have an outbreak of malaria, the mosquitoes that spread this disease, namely Anopheles species, are the mosquitoes to be concerned about.
Of the 200 types of mosquitoes in the continental United States, only 12 types are considered a threat to human health. Many mosquitoes don't spread germs; they just leave itchy red welts on the skin. But since it is difficult to tell the difference between mosquitoes that can harm you and mosquitoes that can't, it is best to guard yourself against all mosquito bites.
What Dangerous Diseases Can Mosquitoes Spread?
The most dangerous mosquito-borne disease in the United States is the West Nile virus. It is linked to yearly human mortality rates. Other diseases that are far more dangerous are only a threat when there is an outbreak. What are the dangerous diseases you can get from mosquitoes? Malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever, chikungunya, and Zika virus.
Let's go back to the West Nile virus. Why is this disease such a threat to Atlanta residents? West Nile virus causes encephalitis, which is a swelling of the brain. When the brain swells too much, it can have dangerous medical implications. West Nile virus is not the only mosquito-borne virus in the U.S. that causes encephalitis.
We also battle with eastern equine encephalitis, western equine encephalitis, St. Louis encephalitis, La Crosse encephalitis, and more. The list is long. If you have flu-like symptoms and a headache, be aware that it is possible that you have contracted a mosquito-borne virus that is associated with encephalitis. If your symptoms worsen, seek medical attention.
What Are Some Ways To Protect Yourself From Mosquito Bites?
The primary reason mosquitoes are a danger is that we let them be a danger. There are many ways to protect yourself from mosquito bites. Some are steps you can take to personally protect yourself, some are steps you can take to reduce mosquitoes in your yard, and some are steps that are best taken by a licensed professional.
- Mosquito repellent is the number one way to keep mosquitoes away from you.
- If you wear bright colors, you can make it more difficult for mosquitoes to land on you.
- If you refrain from drinking alcohol outdoors, you'll be less of a target than those around you at a party.
- If you pour out water sources in your yard, you can stop mosquito development. Mosquitoes lay eggs in stagnant water. The baby mosquitoes in the water grow up and become flying adults. They won't do this if they dry up and die on the ground.
None of these steps will get rid of mosquitoes on your property. If you want to knock down adult mosquitoes, you'll need mosquito control.
What's The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard?
At Tuxedo Mosquito Control, we are mosquito experts and we use the most trusted mosquito control solutions. When we evaluate your yard and apply mosquito control, we will use one or more of the following methods:
- We perform an inspection and give you recommendations for removing mosquito breeding sites and conducive conditions that can make your property attractive to mosquitoes.
- If you have breeding sites that can't be removed, we can apply a larvicide to prevent mosquito development.
- We apply a mist treatment to address adult mosquitoes. A mist treatment can be applied routinely throughout the year or before an important outdoor event. We use a long-lasting, fast-acting botanical insecticide spray.
- If you have higher than normal mosquito pressures, or you want the absolute best control available, we can install mosquito misting systems. A mosquito misting system provides ongoing coverage and puts the power of applying a mosquito treatment right in the palm of your hand. You can activate your system from up to 300 feet away with a remote.
Tuxedo Mosquito Control specializes in mosquito control and we are the only company in the area that offers the installation of tankless systems. If you'd like to learn more about mosquito control in Atlanta or you'd like to have one of our friendly mosquito technicians evaluate your property, reach out to us today. We service residential and commercial structures. This is the best way to keep mosquitoes out of your yard.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
Tuxedo Mosquito is the only company we have used to control mosquitos in our yard. The service person sprays our shrubs in the woods behind our home and every shrub and plant in our yard. To the best of our knowledge this is our 9th year using Tuxedo Mosquito. Their service is excellent!!