Why Atlanta Mosquitoes Are The Most Dangerous Animal In The World
January 08, 2022
Mosquitoes may feel like just another part of the summer, but these pests can be more than just a nuisance. Here’s what Atlanta homeowners should know about the types of mosquitoes they may encounter in Atlanta, whether they can be allergic to mosquitoes, the diseases that mosquitoes frequently transmit, and the best way to protect yourself from these dangerous pests.
The Types Of Mosquitoes In Atlanta
The mosquitoes you encounter may look the same, but there are actually a few different types living in Atlanta, including:
- Asian tiger mosquitoes: As one of the most common mosquito species in the southern part of the country, Asian tiger mosquitoes are most active during daylight hours. This species is closely associated with the Zika virus.
- Anopheles mosquitoes: You can find Anopheles mosquitoes in every state, including Georgia. These mosquitoes are most active during dawn and dusk. They are most known for their potential to transmit heartworms to animals or malaria.
- Culex mosquitoes: Culex mosquitoes aren’t as common during the middle of the day, instead of being most active at dawn or dusk. These mosquitoes are known to transmit the West Nile virus to people.
Regardless of the specific type of species, mosquitoes on your Atlanta property spell bad news for you and your family and friends.
Is It Possible To Be Allergic To Mosquito Bites In Atlanta?
Like any pest, you can be allergic to mosquito bites – or more specifically, you can be allergic to the protein that mosquitoes inject into your bloodstream when they bite you. This allergy is called Skeeter syndrome, and while it’s rare, it can happen. Some of the symptoms of Skeeter syndrome include:
- Unusual swelling around the bite (usually bigger than the size of a quarter)
- Excessive itching that doesn’t go away
- Bruising or hives developing around the bite
- Breathing problems or swelling in the throat, also called anaphylaxis
If you believe you’re having an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite, even if it’s mild, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Diseases Atlanta Mosquitoes Are Capable Of Spreading
Not every mosquito is carrying a disease, but if you’re being bitten by these pests, you are at risk for contracting a mosquito-borne disease, such as:
- West Nile virus
- Zika virus
- Dengue fever
- Yellow fever
While symptoms can vary from disease to disease, some of the most common side effects that people experience with mosquito-borne diseases are:
- Muscle pain and cramping
- Joint pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- A spreading rash from the site of the bite
The Best Mosquito Protection For Atlanta Properties
Given how dangerous mosquitoes are and how great the risk for a mosquito-borne illness can be, it’s important to make sure you’re protecting yourself and your property from these dangerous pests. Bug sprays can only go so far. The best form of mosquito protection comes from Tuxedo Mosquito Control.
With years of experience combating the Atlanta mosquitoes, we can turn your yard and home back into a mosquito-free zone. If you’re constantly finding these insects near your home, call us today at Tuxedo Mosquito Control for more advice and assistance.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
It is simple: If you want to forget about Mosquitos in your yard... CALL THEM. Great service, fantastic 'set it and forget it' technology, with wonderful people backing it all up. We couldn't be happier with Tuxedo Mosquito Control!