What Smells Do Mosquitoes In Atlanta Hate?
November 20, 2021
Mosquitoes are small vector pests that measure around 1/8 - 3/8 inches long. They have slender, elongated bodies with feathery antennae, and piercing, lengthened mouthparts called a proboscis. Their body and wing veins are covered with scales, and some species have green, blue, or white markings. They vary in color from grey to black and have six long, thin legs.
The three most common species in the Atlanta area include Aedes Mosquitoes, Culex Mosquitoes, and Anopheles Mosquitoes. No matter the species, mosquitoes are all vector pests capable of transmitting diseases into their hosts. Some of the most common mosquito-borne illnesses include chikungunya, dengue, encephalitis, malaria, tularemia, West Nile virus, yellow fever, Zika virus, and many others.
Here’s a little more about the three most common mosquito species in the Atlanta area:
1. Aedes Mosquito (Yellow fever mosquito)
- They are associated with dengue, yellow fever, Zika virus, and chikungunya.
- Noticeable black and white markings on bodies and legs.
- Black mosquitoes with white stripes on legs and back.
2. Culex Mosquito (Common house mosquito)
- It is associated with West Nile virus and viral encephalitis.
- Gray/brown coloration with white, silver, green, or iridescent blue scales.
- Measures 1/4 - 3/8 inch long; the body is parallel to the resting surface.
3. Anopheles Mosquito (Malaria mosquito or Marsh mosquito)
- Associated with malaria and encephalitis.
- Have a slanted posture, standing at a tipped angle when biting or resting.
- Wings have a spotted coloring to them due to scales.
If you’re interested in repelling mosquitoes naturally, there are a lot of options for you. In fact, more and more people are turning to natural alternatives, moving away from pesticides and chemicals that can be harmful to your health and the environment.
The Power Of Scent
If you want to be proactive in your efforts to control mosquitoes around your property, it’s good to know about the various scents that repel them. One of the most common mosquito-repelling scents is citronella. People often light candles or spray to keep mosquitoes away.
There are various other scents and essential oils that you can use to deter mosquitoes from inhabiting your property. You can use peppermint, basil, garlic, lemongrass, lavender, rosemary, and lemon eucalyptus. There are a variety of ways to use these scents, the main goal being to drive out any mosquitoes in the area.
Along with using scent as a mosquito deterrent, here are some other ways to take preventative action in keeping mosquitoes off your property:
- Apply insect repellent when spending time outside.
- Direct water away from the house by maintaining gutters and downspouts.
- Fix any damaged or ripped screens.
- Get rid of any sources of standing water around the property.
- Install window and door screens to prevent entry.
- Keep windows and doors closed when possible.
- Maintain well-trimmed vegetation and keep the grass short.
- Wear long pants and long sleeves when possible.
- Wear permethrin or DEET-treated clothing.
These tips can go a long way in minimizing your exposure to mosquito activity, but none of them are 100% reliable in effectively preventing mosquitoes on their own. The most effective way to deal with mosquito populations around your property is to contact your local pest professionals. Here at Tuxedo Mosquito Control, we offer complete residential and commercial mosquito misting and spraying services. We’re proud to use plant-based insecticides that are more effective and eco-friendlier than average manual sprays. Our misting formula is botanically based, using organic insecticides that you can feel good about.
We create a protective barrier around the perimeter of your property and then come back to keep it functioning throughout the year. Our mosquito spraying service promises you effective, lasting results and no lingering chemical odors. We can help prep your backyard for cookouts, barbecues, reunions, parties, and other outdoor gatherings.
Contact us today to get your free yard evaluation. We require no long-term commitments or contracts. We’re simply eager to help you protect your property from the dangers of mosquito infestation. Call us to learn more, and we’ll get started right away.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
Tuxedo Mosquito is the only company we have used to control mosquitos in our yard. The service person sprays our shrubs in the woods behind our home and every shrub and plant in our yard. To the best of our knowledge this is our 9th year using Tuxedo Mosquito. Their service is excellent!!