Five Plants That Naturally Repel Atlanta's Mosquitoes
June 22, 2021
Under no circumstances is mosquito prevention in Atlanta easy. However, several simple but somewhat effective forms of mosquito control can save you from a few bites. One of those methods is to plant mosquito-repellent plants. Find out which plants can keep your property safe from Atlanta's mosquitoes.
Natural Solutions For Atlanta Mosquitoes
Many homeowners in Atlanta want to rely on natural solutions to keep away mosquitoes. However, some natural methods of mosquito control aren't effective. It can be difficult to determine which techniques can help and which will leave you scratching away for days.
Whether you want a natural solution to save money or to limit your exposure to pesticides, there's one thing you should know. You don't need to do this on your own, and you shouldn't attempt it on your own. For the best results, you need to work with an experienced professional.
With that in mind, it doesn't hurt to combine your professional mosquito control with a little natural assistance. Some do-it-yourself (DIY) methods of mosquito control are completely ineffective, but others have some merit. Planting certain plants will make your yard less appealing to mosquitoes, although it won't keep away every mosquito.
The Five Best Plants For Keeping Mosquitoes Away
So, which plants deter mosquitoes? You should first understand that some plants are attractants to mosquitoes. While the females feed on blood, the males eat nectar. Your flower garden could be an all-you-can-eat buffet for mosquitoes. To avoid attracting these unwelcome pests, limit the number of flowering plants in your yard.
In addition to doing that, consider planting the following greenery:
- Lemongrass: This tall grass has a lemony scent that mosquitoes hate but most people love. If you enjoy cooking, you’ll probably appreciate having lemongrass to add to your favorite recipes. It grows well outside or indoors in containers, which allows you even more protection from mosquitoes.
- Eucalyptus Trees: Although eucalyptus trees are famous for being the food of koalas, they have another claim to fame. These trees deter mosquitoes as well as other insects. Furthermore, they have an attractive appearance that can drastically improve your home's curb appeal.
- Phenomenal Lavender: If you're looking for a nice pop of color in addition to mosquito prevention, you might want to plant some lavender. The best type of lavender to use as a mosquito deterrent is phenomenal lavender. It's even more fragrant than the other types, which makes it highly effective. When you grow your own lavender, you get the added benefit of using it for cooking, relaxation, and health benefits.
- Citronella: You probably are already familiar with citronella torches and candles. However, did you know that citronella is just as effective in plant form? It's a small shrub that looks great on your patio in a pot or planted directly in the ground. It has a pleasant smell and may work to deter a few other common Atlanta insects.
- Garlic: Although garlic isn't the most popular garden plant, it could keep away mosquitoes. This plant doesn't have a stunning appearance but it does deter mosquitoes and give you garlic cloves to cook with.
Work With Us
You can plant as many of the above plants as you want in your garden, but mosquitoes might still bother you. Here at Tuxedo Mosquito, our mosquito misting and mosquito spraying services protect you. We embrace the natural method of mosquito prevention but combine it with our resources and years of experience. When you work with us, you get an insecticide that is also derived from a plant.
We use pyrethrum as a way to keep you safe from these pests. If you're interested in learning more or you're ready to get started, contact us to learn more today.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
Tuxedo Mosquito is the only company we have used to control mosquitos in our yard. The service person sprays our shrubs in the woods behind our home and every shrub and plant in our yard. To the best of our knowledge this is our 9th year using Tuxedo Mosquito. Their service is excellent!!