Do Mosquitoes In Atlanta Go Away In The Winter?
December 07, 2021
Winter is a time for many wonderful things, from family holidays to the occasional snow day. But there’s another reason why Atlanta residents love the cold season: relief from pest activity! From beetles and fleas to ticks and flies, the pest presence of Georgia drops significantly during the winter. This especially applies to mosquitoes, some of the most frustrating pests in the area. Cooler weather prevents these pests from maintaining such a significant presence, often seeming to ‘disappear’. But do the mosquitoes of Atlanta really go away during winter?
According to a recent study, Atlanta, GA is one of the biggest mosquito hotspots in the United States. Thanks to our humid climate and milder winter season, mosquito species can survive and thrive almost year-round. Even during the cold season, these pests can still prove to be problematic.
Depending on the species in question, some female mosquitoes will lay their eggs in early winter before any deep freezes, dying soon afterward. Eggs remain dormant until temperatures rise to a steady 50 degrees, starting a spawning season. Other mosquito species, particularly those around Atlanta, attempt to find shelter against the elements to enter dormancy. Sometimes called ‘diapause’, this interesting behavior is similar to hibernation.
As the weather warms up, swarms of mosquitoes re-enter our lawns and gardens, plaguing both people and pets with itchy bites. For this reason, it is essential to prevent mosquito infestations all year long.
The Importance Of Preventing Mosquitoes All Year Long
Because of the mosquito’s egg-laying behaviors and diapause capabilities, these pests can create a ‘backlog’ of activity that swells into a serious infestation. For these reasons, it is vital to remain vigilant with mosquito activity and prevention year-round.
The first and most obvious place to start is with viable prevention tips. Check out some of the most effective mosquito mitigation techniques below:
- Mosquitoes are highly attracted to stagnant water. Do what you can to drain any potential sources out of the yard. Fill potholes with topsoil, remove birdbaths or fountains, and otherwise reduce potential problems by maintaining a level lawn.
- Do what you can to maintain your lawn and garden. Start by trimming the grass frequently and pruning back any overgrown vegetation. Be sure to cut down any tree branches that could be harboring additional moisture or shade.
- Consider protecting your home with professional services or mitigations. The professionals behind Tuxedo Mosquito Control offer full-service abatement programs that fit a wide variety of needs.
Don’t let mosquito populations get the best of you this winter. Reach out to a mosquito management company such as Tuxedo Mosquito Control.
Armor Up With Year-Round Mosquito Management From Tuxedo Mosquito Control
Tuxedo Mosquito Control is Atlanta’s premiere mosquito management agency, specializing in the long-term elimination and mitigation of overwintering mosquitoes. We currently have two primary service types to offer: ongoing misting programs and human-led abatement sprays.
- We work hard to service residential and commercial organizations in the Atlanta area, proudly providing solutions since our founding.
- We only offer top-of-the-line mosquito solutions, including the MistAway Gen III+ automated misting system.
- Inspections, treatments, and follow-up programs can meet your needs wherever you’re at!
The best form of mosquito control in Atlanta comes from the mosquito experts at Tuxedo Mosquito Control from wintertime to the summer months. Call now for a personalized quote.
What Tuxedo Mosquito Customers Are Saying
It is simple: If you want to forget about Mosquitos in your yard... CALL THEM. Great service, fantastic 'set it and forget it' technology, with wonderful people backing it all up. We couldn't be happier with Tuxedo Mosquito Control!